Saturday, May 4, 2013

DIY Photo Hangings


Home Decor.

Nothing scares me as much as those 2 dreaded words: Home Decor.  I just never know what to put up, so our home looks basically the same as it did over 6 years ago when we moved it. A lot of the walls are bare, there are some blinds up, but no window treatments. I once told a friend we had nothing up because we were "minimalists;" but really it's a combination of not knowing what to do and laziness.  

However, I realized that I loved going to homes and looking at other family's portraits, so I decided to start out with one wall in our living room and work from there.  I printed some of my favorite photos from our wedding and got to work.  Feel free to craft along, you can do this with any photo!


DIY Photo Hangings

Supplies:
photo
claybord or similar (artist's canvas, piece of wood)
black paint
modge podge
spray sealer
hot glue
black ribbon
hanging supplies (nails, hammer)

Let's get started! 

The first thing I did was pick up this cool claybord from Hobby Lobby.  It's a nice quality board for painting on, and essentially that's what I did! My photos and claybord were similar in size.




I painted one side and the outer edges with black acrylic paint. This was a little tricky to do to get full coverage, I might try using spray paint next time, or even a sharpie in a pinch! It doesn't really matter if you want to paint the whole board or just the parts that will be seen, totally up to you!  let the paint dry, according to the directions.



I then did a thin layer of modge podge on the painted claybord, then I placed my photo where I wanted it, and then covered it all with another layer of modge podge. Let dry!



I then sealed it with an acrylic sealer spray and let that dry.  To hang it, I hot glued ribbon to the back of each claybord. I hammered some nails into the wall, and voila!  A fun, inexpensive, easy way to display my favorite photos!! 




I am not done with my first wall yet, I am finishing up on the curtains, as well as making a song lyric board with lyrics from our wedding song on it! So excited about that! 

Stay tuned, and thanks for crafting along with me!

~Patricia~








No comments:

Post a Comment