Saturday, July 20, 2013

American girl mattress

After successfully making my daughter's American Girl doll "Gracie" a sleeping bag, I knew I wanted to make her an actual bed next.

After searching Pinterest (you can follow my AG Idea Board here) and doing some looking at different beds on the AG website, on eBay and at different beds on Amazon.  I realize that I just wanted to make myself.  The cashier at Toys R Us tried to sell me a $50 bed, uh no thanks! For the more advanced DIY-er I would suggest looking at ana-white.com's plans for making a doll bed. The things she has made are amazing! Definitely check her website out if you get a chance.

I ended up buying this closet organizer ClosetMaid 899300 24-Inch Horizontal Laminate Closet Organizer, White for around $10 at Target. It took maybe 10 minutes to put together, and gave me an excuse to watch an episode of my new favorite show, Arrested Development. I enjoy multitasking!





Since the point of making this bed myself is to save money, I looked around for something I could use for the mattress. Last year, I made my daughters a seat pad for the Ikea bench that's in their room. I had saved the extra 2 in foam, and when I went to use it, I realized it was too thin to just cut and use. I ended up cutting 3 pieces and sandwiching them together with glue! Not pretty, but it worked. :)

And since 3 pieces of foam isn't that stable, I looked around in my stash for something to cover the mattress with. I found an unused fleece baby blanket (we have way more blankets than we need here in Florida!), and cut it to size. My foam mattress was 23" x 11.5" x 2", so I cut 2 pieces of fleece 26" x 14.5".  I found a really cool way to do the corners on Ana-white's blog, and it was so much easier than trying to sew a 2 in. piece all around, like I did for the seat pad. I'm doing all my corners this way from now on!!

To complete the mattress, just sew the 2 pieces together with a .5 in seam allowance, leaving a hole in the middle of one of the long sides to stuff in your foam.

From this....


To this!
See how cool this looks?
"Sew easy!" 

Finished! (with the mattress anyway)

I ended by hand sewing the mattress cover shut. It fits so snug on the bed, it's already super cozy and coming along nicely!

We went to Joann's yesterday and picked out some cool fabric to make the sheets and comforter.  Can't wait to get started on those! 


No comments:

Post a Comment