Monday, July 7, 2014

The nightly round-up

So tonight while I was cleaning our dining room floors for the umpteenth time today (the joys of having kids and corn for supper), I got to thinking about sleep.

You might think it's because I had to sit with my almost 2 year old and wait for her to fall asleep while she murmurs, "Dada, Dada...." And I bet you can guess what will happen when I go get him to sit with her while she falls asleep.

"Mama, Mama." Oh dear. It's pretty boring waiting in utter darkness for someone else to go to sleep.  I mean, I guess I could sleep, but then when I wake up at 2am and stumble down the hall to my bed, it just ruins my good night sleep too. I wish there was something I could do, you know, like cross stitch, or a crossword, or anything. But alas, I'm destined to practice sitting up straight in a yoga pose and praying for sleep to befall my precious little one. I think this child is destined to give me good posture whether I want it or not.

The other reason I was thinking about sleep (I had a lot of time to think tonight--those floors were really dirty), is because my oldest daughter interrupts my sleep every.single.morning to ask me the same question. And let me tell you, getting woken up with someone thisclosetoyourface is not pleasant.

"Can I watch tv?"

"No."

"What can I do? I'm soooo bored."

At this point I wish I was one of those moms that just bounds out of bed and says, OK! Let's go do something exciting! But, who are those moms? Are they real? I don't think so.

*Peeling my face away from my daughter's intent gaze* "Why don't you play in the playroom for awhile? Or help yourself to some breakfast?"  I'm starting to repeat that bible verse in my head now. You know, the one about training up your child in the way that they should go and when they are old, they will not stray from it (or something like that). I'm beginning to think I should have trained her more for this morning episode, since it happens every day. Every day.

And here's what got me thinking. Usually my daughter keeps going on about watching tv. Just one show. Only for a little bit. Nothing bad. I'll be quiet. I won't wake anyone. You never let me watch tv!

But last week was different. Last week, we were at my mother-in-law's house and for some reason, I did not get the inyourface morning questions every day.  Maybe it was the fact that my mother-in-law was up and got her some breakfast. Maybe it was the stack of activities waiting for her on the kitchen table. Maybe it was the corn flakes. It could be all of those things actually.

So tonight I wrote my daughter a note (she likes when I write her notes) that went something like this:

Dear G....

Good morning!  Do not wake me up. Do not wake up M or C. We are all tired and need a little more sleep. Please go downstairs and make yourself breakfast and play at the table until I wake up. No tv. No Nook. I love you.

Love, Mom

Easy enough, right?
I put some breakfast out on the table and some play-doh out for her to play with too.  We'll see how this works.

On another note:

What's for dinner:
(Or in this case, what was for dinner)

Crockpot Chicken with Salsa and Black Beans

1 package frozen chicken thighs (about 4 pieces)
1 can of black beans
1 jar of salsa
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 half onion, chopped
1 tomato, sliced (I added this from our garden, just because)

Cooked for 6 hours on high, switched to low 30 minutes before serving. Shred the chicken before serving.
I served it with brown rice for the kids and over couscous (flavored with salt, pepper and turmeric) for us.
Sides: Frozen corn, Frozen peas

I promise you, it's good.
Next time I'll snap a photo on a plate, and not just grab the leftovers out of the fridge.
(If I remember.)

I was especially proud of this meal because I had everything I needed in the pantry already. Since we just got back into town from our road trip yesterday (stay tuned for more on that), I didn't feel like getting back into the car to go grocery shopping. So I searched around on Pinterest until I found a recipe that I could modify and this is what I came up with.  It was pretty good!  Many times my oh-I'll-just-see-what-I-can-put-together-in-the-crockpot meals are not good. They are usually bland. But I'm guessing the medium salsa was enough to give it some flavor. You could add some peppers or well, whatever you want really. It was good. I may make it again someday.

So at the very least, my belly is full from a delicious meal, my kids are asleep (for now, let's be honest), my floors are clean, and I've updated my blog. Which I'm fairly certain no one reads. Well maybe one person. Two? Three? I'm pushing it now. Oh well, if you've made it this far, THANK YOU!!  I promise there is more to come. Promise.

~Patricia

Feel free to subscribe to updates by email! If you're on a desktop, it's in the right-hand column; thanks!
  

3 comments:

  1. I pray that note idea works! Let us know. It is so hard to be woken when you are so sleep deprived. The dinner looked great! I love the easy dinner ideas. Keep up the great blog work. I love getting your posts in my email box. You have great ideas and stories! I am still looking for freezer paper at the stores - no luck so far so I might just buy it online. I am dying to try the freezer paper transfer idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments! The note worked until the reasonable hour of 9am. :) I'm pretty sure I found the freezer paper at our neighborhood Wal-mart, near the tinfoil!

      Delete
  2. I read it! Love the musing and easy meal idea. You inspire me to get back on the blog!

    ReplyDelete