Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Some much needed inspiration (and 2 minute confidence booster!)

Have you ever listened to a TED talk?  They are these very interesting (at least to me) talks that people/experts give on various topics. My local NPR station switched from broadcasting "World have your say" (which was basically people around the world shouting their views about things, with no resolution--ugh. It gave me a headache.) to the TED radiohour.  Day made.

My favorite one so far is this one by Amy Cuddy:



It also happens to be the second most popular TED talk ever.  It's titled, "Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are." And I love it.  Basically, it states (backed by research) that you can improve your mood and confidence by doing "high-power poses" for 2 minutes.  As a person who really believes in the thoughts-feelings-actions connection (hey, I didn't go to grad school for social work for nothing!), this is genius to me.

Just do a high-power pose, like the "wonder woman," for 2 minutes before a big or stressful event, and it will help you to feel more confident!  I like to practice my wonder woman pose in the car before heading to a meeting or when my kids are being particularly stressful. (So everyday, basically.)

   Go Wonder Woman!

Listen to the talk and let me know what you think!  I just downloaded the audio and listened in the car on the way to get the kids from school.  You can fast-forward in the video until you get to the examples of power poses, but otherwise I didn't feel I needed the visuals.

For more awesome and inspiring TED talks, check them out here.

Here's to feeling more confident!

~Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment