Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Recipe: Favorite Blueberry Muffins (A winner!)

Sometimes I get in a baking mood and just want to whip up something delicious.  So then I frantically look through my list of pinned Recipes (check them all out 160 of them here) and try to find something that looks easy, delicious, and that I have all the ingredients for on hand right now. 

Today I was successful!

I found this great blueberry muffin recipe from Life Made Simple, and it turned out awesome!

Check it out!





My 7 year old deemed these "the best thing you've ever made Mommy!"

Here's the recipe: 

Favorite Blueberry Muffins 

Prep time: 5-15 minutes (depending on how organized you are and how many little hands are helping!)
Bake time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes (Plus time to wash the dishes afterwards too.)

Makes 12 delicious muffins!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
1/2 c. Cake flour *
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable or coconut oil (I used co.)
4 tbsp. melted butter
3/4 cup buttermilk*
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 2 lemons
1 1/4 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen; I used one of those small containers you get at the grocery store).

Topping (optional)
3 tbsp coarse sanding sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Put liners in 12 standard size muffin cups.
2. Using a stand mixer, lightly beat together oil, butter, vanilla, lemon zest, eggs and buttermilk.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Using low speed, slowly mix dry ingredients with wet until combined.
5. Remove bowl from stand mixer and gently stir in blueberries. Scoop batter into lined muffin cups. Fill 2/3 of the way full. If using topping, sprinkle sanding sugar on each. ( I didn't have any on hand; they were still good!)
6. Place into oven; bake for 24-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Remove from oven; let cool in pan for about 10 minutes.  Then place muffins on wire rack until completely cooled. (Not gonna lie, these are really good warm. :)  To reheat, place in microwave for 15 seconds. Careful, it'll be hot.)

Notes:
* You can use 2 cups of all-purpose flour instead of 1 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 cake flour. (that's what I did.)
* I didn't have buttermilk, so I made some by putting 1 tbsp of vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup, then filling with regular milk.  After waiting 5 minutes, pour out 3/4 c. for the recipe. 


Recipe source:
In my own words from: Life Made Simple
Her recipe was adapted from:  Back In The Day Bakery, Blueberry Muffins

Enjoy!

~Patricia


1 comment: