Thursday, October 30, 2014

#tbt and an upgrade!

Many years ago now, when I was in college, I went on a 6 week exchange program to Cuernavaca, Mexico. My roommate and I stayed with a host family and the experiences we had will stay with me forever. Oh, the stories I could tell!  But, I won't: what happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico.  

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to study abroad, do it!  

Remember when people used to print photos and make collages?
Yeah, me too.

One of the things I remember most about the experience was the food.  Our mama used to make these delicious ham and cheese sandwiches for us for breakfast, and I liked them so much that when I came back home I bought a sandwich maker so that I could make them at home. 

That was in 2004. And after several moves, including one across the country, today that sandwich maker finally died (well technically it broke in half). It was a sad day. 

Goodbye, faithful sandwich maker.

A sad day that was instantly made better when I remembered that I had a fabulous panini press just sitting in my cupboard, unopened.

It was a present for our wedding in 2007.

And I just opened it for the first time today. And it was fabulous!  It's a Breville panini grill (buy it here) that someone generously bought for us from our Williams-Sonoma wedding registry.  A little side note: when we got married, we registered at Williams-Sonoma and just walked around the store and registered for things that looked cool.  I had no idea what to register for and honestly, at that point I could count on one hand the number of times I'd even been in a Williams-Sonoma, so I had no idea what to register for.  It took me four years to get over that I had registered for a banana yellow Kitchenaid stand mixer.   I used it for the first time to make bread in 2011 and blogged about it (here); I've been writing for awhile!

Ok back to the panini press. I'm really excited that we registered for this. The paninis I've made so far are = delicious! My husband keeps making fun of me, since fancy, pressed sandwiches aren't a new concept; but I love them!! 


In the box, waiting patiently for me!



It looks like bigger IS better my friends.....



Mmmm. Panini. 

My favorite thing to add lately is avocado, yum!  I'm feeling hungry!

I'm going to go make a sandwich panini.

~Patricia



1 comment:

  1. HA! That's Awesome you finally broke it out. In this case, I guess it did pay to hold on to something so long :)

    ReplyDelete